Q---What type of lashes do you use?
A---The extensions we use here at Eye Candy are made of a synthetic silk fiber and are semi-permanent. We currently use single extensions that are applied 1:1 to your natural lashes. We have a variety of thicknesses, lengths and curls to achieve the look you are going for and to accommodate the many different eye shapes and ethnicities of our clients.
Q---What kind of adhesive is used? Does it have formaldehyde as an ingredient?
A---We use a medical grade adhesive that is formaldehyde free. Our adhesives are low odor. We do have adhesives made for sensitive eyes.
Q---How are the extensions applied and how long does the process take?
A---The extensions are applied 1:1 to your natural lashes, meaning 1 extension to 1 natural lash using the medical grade adhesive. When you come in for your initial full set, your lash stylist will discuss with you what type of look you are going for and measure your lashes to determine what lengths/thicknesses and curl will be used. The time of application can take anywhere from 1-1.5 hours, depending on how many natural lashes are available.
Q---What should I expect during my first appointment?
A---On your first appointment, your lash stylist will consult with you about the style of lashes desired and will explain the entire process to you before getting started and will go over any questions you may have initially. We may ask if we can take before/after photos of you for our website and look book but this is not something you have to do if you are not comfortable. During the application, you will be laying down with your eyes closed the entire time. Your lash stylist will begin applying the lashes one by one to your natural lashes, working their way between both eyes from the inside corners to the outside corners. Your lash stylist will also go over care and maintenance with you while applying. After all extensions are applied, you will have a few minutes of drying time and then…..the REVEAL!!
Q---How long do the extensions last?
A---The extensions are applied to your natural lash and will grow and shed with your natural lash during it’s own growth cycle. Your lashes are constantly growing and shedding and typical lash loss is 1-5 lashes per day, per eye. Normally, we don’t notice this loss as each lash is at it’s own step in the growing cycle. An average lash growth cycle is 4-6 weeks, so within 4-6 weeks, all extensions should grow off and shed with the natural lash. The life of the extensions is determined on how quickly your natural lashes grow and shed and also how well you care caring for your extensions.
Q---How often should I come in for maintenance or fills?
A--- This really depends again on the natural growth cycle of your lashes and how well you care caring for them. Usually by about week 2 or 3 after the initial full set or your last appointment, you should be approximately half way through your growth cycle and should see about 50% loss of extensions. Most people come in around week 2 or 3 for a fill and maintenance. During the fill appointment, your lash stylist will clean up your lashes, removing any extensions that are overly outgrown that have not shed yet and then fill in on the available lashes.
Q---Will the extensions damage my natural lashes?
A---Properly applied extensions will not cause damage to your natural lashes. Improperly caring for your lashes can! Pulling, tugging, playing with your extensions is very stressful to your natural lash. You risk breaking off your natural lashes or completely pulling out the natural lash which can be damaging to the hair follicle. Long term excessive damage to the hair follicle can cause the follicle to not produce another lash. Also, using an extension that is too heavy or too long can also cause excess stress to your natural lash as your natural lash just cannot support the added weight. Your lash stylists will recommend what length/thickness your natural lashes can handle to avoid this from happening. We can only go as long or as thick as your natural lashes will allow!
Q---I had eyelash extension applied only a few days ago and a few have fallen out---why??
A---Remember you are always growing and shedding lashes to allow for new growth! A person can lose 1-5 lashes (and extensions) per day, per eye. This is common and shouldn’t be a cause for alarm! If you are experiencing more loss than this, you should contact your lash stylist to determine what could be happening.
Q---Can I wear make up? What about Mascara?
A---You can wear makeup, of course! We do not recommend mascara on your extensions but you CAN wear mascara on your lower lashes. With makeup, you may want to steer clear of any cream eyeshadows or gel eyeliners. These are typically an oil base product and could break down the adhesive. If you generally use eye liner on your top lashes, you may notice that the extensions do give more of a bold lash line where you may not need the added look of liner. If you do still want to apply liner, try not to drag the pencil across the base of the extensions. You may catch the extension and could pull it if you are not careful. We also recommend using a stiff eyeliner brush and eyeshadow vs the pencil. It is much easier to get the powder in between the lashes for that bold lash line and is much easier to clean up than liquid liners or waterproof pens/pencils.
Q---How do I clean my eyes and extensions?
A---Cleaning around the eye area with extension can be tricky! You want to keep your eye area clean and oil free as possible. We recommend using our After Care Kit. This comes with a concentrated Lash Shampoo, foaming pump bottle, cleansing brush, and mascara wands. PERFECT to keep your lashes healthy and clean! We also recommend pre-moistened eye makeup remover pads or face wipes. Just wrap around your index finger and give your lids a swipe! Try to avoid using anything with cotton: cotton balls, pads, Q-tips, Kleenex, etc. Those little fibers can get caught in your extensions and it is a nightmare to remove them!
Q---What should I do before my lash appointment?
A---Review FAQ’s and lash care tips listed on our web-page here. If you have any additional questions about the initial appointment, please give us a call to discuss. When you come in for your appointment, you will fill out a client info sheet (if you haven't done so online) and will meet your lash stylist. You will want to make sure you come in mascara/make-up free. You will also want to have some sort of an idea of what type of look you want to go for. Please see our gallery and Facebook page for photos!
Q---What types of looks do people generally go for?
A---Here at Eye Candy, we have several different lengths, thicknesses and curls to create a completely customized look. The extensions are going to be thicker than your natural lash so you will see volume and thickness either way. We generally have clients that go for a variation of these three standard looks:
Natural---this would be a slightly exaggerated look from your natural lashes. Almost as if you are wearing just really great mascara.
Natural with a "pop"---This look is again, a more exaggerated look from your natural lashes, by adding thickness and extra length accentuating either under the brow bone for added lift or adding length to the outer corners for a flirty cat-eye flip.
Glamour/Diva---All out, big, long, thick and glammed out lashes!!
The most common is the Natural with a "pop" look. Remember that your natural lashes can only hold so much weight and your lash stylist will recommend the best version for you and will use different techniques and a variety of sizes to get you the look you are going for.
Q---How much are fill appointments and how long do they take?
A---The fill appointments are shorter in time than the full set application and are scheduled based on how long you would like your Lash Stylist to spend "filling" your lashes. During a lash fill, your Lash Stylist will brush through your lashes and separate any lashes that have clustered or clumped together. Then they will go through and remove any extensions that are outgrown, lifting, or otherwise not up to our standards. This process is the "CLEAN UP". Once the clean up has been completed, it's time to PUMP YOU UP. Your Lash Stylist will now go through and apply lash extensions to any available natural lashes. This is the final step in the "fill" process. And now... VOILA! You are back and better than before baby!
MAINTENANCE/FILL APPOINTMENT TYPES:
45 Min Fill ---->> This touch up is perfect for clients who want to keep their lashes ON POINT. Approx. 30 - 40 extensions per eye. Typically clients have about 75% of extensions remaining. (Similar to 2 week fill previously) - $45
60 Min Fill ---->> Our most popular fill! Approx. 40 - 50 extensions per eye. Typically clients have about 50% - 60% of extensions remaining. (Similar to 2 - 3 week fill previously) - $65
75 Min Fill ---->> Pump, pump, pump it up! For an extra full look, or if you have experienced a large shed. Approx. 60 - 80 extensions per eye. Typically clients have about 30 - 50% of extensions remaining. (Similar to 3-4 week fill previously) - $85
***Please note---if you come in for your lash appointment and have more loss than expected, we can only work for the allotted time based on the type of appointment scheduled. If you need additional time, and your Lash Stylist's schedule allows, you may add on time in 15 minutes increments up to 75 minutes. If your Lash Stylist's schedule does not allow of additional time to be added, another appointment will need to be scheduled in the future. ***
Q---I tried lash extensions and they just aren’t for me? How can I get them off and what are my options?
- A---The best and safest way to remove the extensions is to allow them to grow and shed off naturally. This allows your natural lash to go through its entire grown cycle and produce a new, healthy lash. We do offer a removal service, which is fairly gentle and typically very little damage. The removal includes applying a gel like remover to the base of the extensions and after 15-20 min, the adhesive is broken down enough that the extension comes off the natural lash easily. We cannot guarantee that this process will cause NO damage but it is one of the best options aside from letting them grow out naturally. DO NOT pick at the extensions or pull them off yourself!! You can severely damage your natural lashes this way.
Q--- Can I touch the lashes?
- Resist the urge to touch your lashes. No touching, picking, pulling or playing with them. The more you are touching them, the more tangled they become and you risk the chance of pulling the extension off your lashes or even pulling out your natural lash, which could damage the follicle. Plus, the more you touch them, the more oils/dirt from your hands are being transferred to the extensions.
Q--- Can I get my extensions wet?
- Do not get your extensions wet for 24-48 hours after the full set is applied. The adhesive does have an initial dry time of 2-5 seconds but it does not fully cure or bond for 24-48 hours. Even though they are not wet to the touch, coming in contact with water or even a lot of steam can cause the adhesive to not bond correctly and can affect the durability and life of the adhesive where it just won’t be as strong or hold as long as it is intended.
Q--- Should I avoid any particular products?
- YES! NO moisture-rich products on your lashes or near your eyes. You want to use oil-free products only!! This goes for cleansers, eye creams, make-up…check your products for a list of ingredients. Any type of oil (products or natural oils from your skin) is going to cause the adhesive to break down and not hold as long as it’s intended to and will also not be as strong.
Q--- Can I use mascara on my extensions?
- NO mascara or eyelash curlers!!! The extensions are already pre-polished and pre-curled to give the look of mascara without having to add the excess weight and stress to your natural lashes. If you are wanting more bold of a look, talk to your lash stylist about this to achieve the look you are going for with a different size/thickness extension. Using mascara will also cause your extensions to become very clumpy, tangled and heavy.
Q--- Should I clean or brush/comb my extensions often?
- YES, YES AND MORE YES!!! Please cleanse and brush your extensions daily in order to remove dirt, makeup, sweat, and any other contaminants that could effect retention. We offer the PERFECT AFTERCARE FIT for lash extensions. Please ask your Lash Stylist for more details. You should receive a mini aftercare kit after your initial appointment. Use the mascara wands in this kit to brush/comb your lashes. We recommend the best time to comb your lashes is right after cleansing or when you step out of the shower, the adhesive is a little more pliable from the warmth/humidity so you can get them in place and once you step into the cooler air, it will re-set the lashes.
Q--- What if I sleep on my face?
- Try to avoid sleeping with your face in your pillow on sleeping on your face. Tossing and turning with your face in the pillow can crush the extensions or could cause the extensions to fall off. We recommend either sleeping on your back or if you sleep on your side, sleep with your face off the edge of the pillow.